Content writing and Copywriting TIPS
Content is the stuff (text and graphics) of Web pages. It makes up the details of the page. Content is not the arrangement or the design of the Web pages. Nor is it the interactivity of the pages.
When writing for the web, use content writing
* Try to use shorter sentences, terms(word) and subsection s (paragraphs)
* Always show one idea per paragraph
* Putting the most important point or the conclusion first (The inverted pyramid style)
* simple words
* Objective language to build credibility, rather than exaggerated claims or overly promotional words like “great”, “tremendous” etc.
* Try to use bulleted lists & highlighted text (bold or color, also hyperlinked text) for scan ability
* Use headlines having an important effect and subheads by avoiding cute or clever lines Write better web content. Understand how people (don’t) read on the Web
1.Reading on the web is too much work!
Reading from a computer screen tires the eyes. People read 75% more quickly on the print material than they read on web. There for web content has to be 50% shorter than print.
2.Readers on the Web scan text
Usability is the one of the main factor that puts great influence on reader. Many usability experts shows that Highlighted text (bold or color, also hyperlinked text) and bulleted lists aid scan ability. The major benefit of the scan ability is: 79% of readers on the Web tend to scan or skim text rather than read word for word.
3.Readers on the Web are impatient
Readers on the Web are in a hurry to get the information they want, and move on. This is actually the psyche of the Human nature, they always go for shortcuts. They don’t have the patience for obscure and complex text. They don’t enjoy scrolling through masses of text either. As there are millions of alternative websites in cyberspace, readers will quickly move to another site if they don’t enjoy the information.
Attracting attention and retaining reader interest is a challenge, specially as writer have just
* 10 seconds to grab attention on web site content
* 55 seconds to develop an understanding of company or product
To combat reader fatigue, make it easy for your Web users to get relevant information. Put the most important information at the top. Use clear and concise text.
5.Readers on the Web are cynical
Credibility is a major factor in retaining reader interest on the Web. Use meaningful headlines and sub-headlines which help them nail the information they want, quickly and easily. Hyperlinks to the sources of your information or to related information also add to credibility.
6.Readers avoid overload information
In an average workday, people suffer from information overload . They already have a large number of emails in their inbox to contend with, and several documents to read. They don’t want to spend time and effort reading content that they may not find useful. Offer your readers information in bite-size chunks which are easily digestible. Use short sentences, short paragraphs, one idea per paragraph. Use meaningful headlines and sub-headlines which help them nail the information they want, quickly and easily.